VIDEO: How To Choose Healthy Snacks
I'm often asked...
What are some quick and healthy snack options that can get me through the day?
So, I went to Toronto's The Big Carrot to film this video and answer that question!
1. What Makes A Good snack option?
- IT NEEDS TO LEAVE YOU FEELING SATIATED: Usually that means your snack should include a good amount of protein and fat.
- IT'S GOT TO GIVE YOU SUSTAINED ENERGY: That means avoiding lots of sugars... And the accompanying sugar crash.
- TRY TO AVOID FOODS THAT ARE A LITTLE TOO GOOD: If you have trouble controlling your portions and you find yourself noshing on delicious chocolate covered almonds or chips, you'll probably end up over-eating... Which won't help you feel (or look!) your best.
2. Ask Yourself: Why are you snacking?
If you're legitimately hungry between meals, these tips will legitimately help you... But we often get the urge to snack when we're bored, procrastinating, in need of an emotional pick-me-up or caving in to social pressure... Well... That's something to think about before you start mindlessly grazing.
3. My Favourite Snack Options (All found at The big carrot)
- Protein bars that DON'T pack a lot of sugar. Paleo or Pegan bars are a really good option.
- Kale chips
- Natural crackers that aren't made from processed flours (these ones by Earth + City are a good example)
- Soups (look for reduced salt options!)
- Rotisserie chicken
- Prepared salads at the deli
- Healthy, natural dips
- Full prepared meals from the deli section (but only eat around half if it's a snack!)
- A sliced apple dipped in almond butter
- Avocado slices wrapped in smoked salmon (sprinkle with lemon juice if you're fancy!)
- Baby carrots dipped in humous or tahini (or any other natural dip with a good amount of fat to keep you feeling full)
4. My SNACKing NINJA top tip
Keep a folding knife, spoon, bowl, and plate handy (now you know what's in my glove box!)... that way you can always pop into a grocery store and grab a few simple ingredients to build into an awesome snack. So arm yourself, think creatively, and defeat hunger!
AND IF YOU'VE GOT A BLENDER HANDY...
Smoothies and shakes are another great way to get a nutrient boost on the go... either between meals... or in lieu of one.